Accessing Drug and Alcohol ServicesBayAODS (Bayside Alcohol and Other Drug Services) Central Intake service provides GP’s, health, and social services professionals with an efficient, dedicated phone access point to all Victorian Government funded alcohol and drug services in the local government areas of Port Phillip, Stonnington, Glen Eira, Kingston and Bayside.
It is part of the Victorian Government alcohol and drug system reform (2014) to make it easier for people to access the most appropriate drug and alcohol treatment service.
Central Intake is designed to assist professionals to locate and refer your clients to the most appropriate service to meet their needs with one phone call. It supports access by ensuring that clients understand the full range of options along with service availability (such as waiting lists) without having to gather the information from each individual service themselves.
The Central Intake phone number is: 03 9690 9778 or toll free 1800 229 263.
If you are a GLBTIQ (Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex and Queer) individual there is a dedicated phone line. Call 1800 906 669 Monday to Friday 9 am to 4.30 pm.
The lines operates from 9 am to 4.30 pm business days.
We can assist you to locate and refer your clients to the most appropriate service.
Toll free 1800 229 263
(03) 9690 9778
Services typesCentral Intake provides access to the following services:
• Non Residential Withdrawal
• Residential Withdrawal
• Residential Rehabilitation Services
• Care and Recovery Coordination
• Self Help support such as Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous
• Family Support Services.
Who can accessYour clients do not need to live in the Bayside catchment to access services in our area. Central Intake works on the principle that clients are free to access services that best suit their needs and preferences.
Clients with high level and complex needs will be prioritised. Where appropriate, clients requiring less intensive support may be referred to generalist counselling services, or a recommendation made to continue current support provided by the original referrer, GP, or health service.
Service providersServices that Central Intake will refer clients to, depending on their needs, include:
• Alfred Health (including for emergency referrals)
• Central Bayside Community Health Service
• First Step Program
• Star Health
• SHARC - Self Help Addiction Resource Centre
• Southcity Clinic – based at Bayside Medicare Local
• Taskforce Community Agency
• Victorian Aids Council
• Windana Drug and Alcohol Community
• Youth Substance Abuse Service
How it works for you – and your clientsDepending on the level of support you already provide for any client, if you need to refer someone to specialised alcohol and other drug services, you can offer any of the following options:
1. With your client present, you can call Central Intake and either involve them in the initial phone conversation, or offer them the phone and support them through the phone call where we discuss their referral options.
2. You make the call to Central Intake without the client present, but with their consent to provide their personal details to enable the referral to be made.
3. Request a referral online from Central Intake via the BayAODS Website (with your client’s consent)
4. Refer your client to this online request form on the BayAODS website, where they can complete the initial request themselves and begin the referral process
5. Tell your client about our Information Sessions and encourage them to attend (see details below).
6. Give your client our Central Intake phone number and let them call us themselves.
Open information session for people impacted by drug use, families and friends to find out more about the services available to them. You will have an opportunity after the session to set an appointment to begin the process.
Who can attend?
Supportive family or friends of individuals contemplating support/treatment are encouraged to attend with the individual seeking support. If the person seeking support does not want family members to attend with them they could learn about the treatment system by attending the session on a different date
Star Health - 240 Malvern Rd, Prahran (About a 9 minute walk from Prahran Train Station)
Every Friday at 1 PM
**Bookings are not required.